Blog 2: MS Word & Copyright

As a student, I have used Microsoft Word countless times. I have written essays, assignments, blog journals, discussion boards, and other material using the program. I also have used it for projects, resumes, and formal letters. I often use MS Word for word count purposes when I need to know the count for a specific goal or when I need to reference the page layout for a specific count. For example, 1000 worlds doubled spaced at 12 point font is about 3-5 pages. I have seen teachers use MS Word for multiple occasions as well. Handouts, worksheets, surveys, syllabus, homework, informational letters, and  important documentation are just some of the few ways I have seen the program put to use.

When writing essays and other assignments, especially as a college student, I have learned the importance of plagiarizing and citing my work. It is imperative that as a student, I give credit where it is due when using someone else's words. Once when I was taking a class, we all had to write a lab report, incorporating specific language from the assignment prompt. Like many other times, we were required to submit our lab report through turnitin.com. When I reviewed the match result, I had a very high percentage because over the years, many other students received the same instruction and used the site to submit their work. Even my citations came back as a percentage match. As a teacher depending on the grade level, I would incorporate turnitin.com when my students are required to hand assignments in because integrity can't be tested for every assignment.


There are issues when it comes to technology with children in the classroom. There are three main divisions that are discusses: the legal aspect, the social aspect, and the ethical aspect. One solution would be to survey kids and see what tech they would like to see in the classroom. As the teacher, I could come up with ways to incorporate a variety of activities with this technology. Another solution would be to test children to make sure they understand the importance of technology and the established and realistic consequences for using tech illicitly. As a teacher, I can get parents involved as well to ensure their child's safety. Lastly, keeping myself informed on all the technology and staying up to date on how things work can only benefit me in the long run.

Comments

  1. Hi! I like your idea about getting the parents involved in the safety of their kids with technology! This way the parents are informed and can keep their kids safe at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deandra.
    I also realized the severity of plagiarism once I entered college. I never really learned about it in elementary and middle school, but teachers started to use turnitin.com later in my education.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 5: Web 2.0 Technology Tools

Blog 0: The Beginning

Blog 9: Flipped Classroom, "Open", PowerPoints