Blog 3: Standards and Digital Safety

If I was a teacher, my ideal grade to teach would be the first grade. The standard that I would feel the most prepared teaching is "with guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers" (fldoe.org). This standard involves using technology like the SmartBoard or the Promethean boards to conduct classroom activities with students. While I was a student, I became very familiar with how they work and I know they would be a good fit for me to use with my own students.  One standard that I do not feel comfortable teaching yet is the standard that involves using different software-- "ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media"(fldoe.org). It would take me time to figure out how to work the program in its entirety.

I would love to incorporate a virtual classroom in my class. Although my students would be on the younger side, I feel like a place where all of the class information is would be helpful for students. Of course, it is important for students to know the rules of the internet and proper safety and how to be a good digital citizen. As a teacher, it is mu job to inform them and ensure that they stay on task and understand possible consequences.
 
When doing the newsletter assignment, I learned about formatting and utilizing specific skills. I also learned how to create my own original boarder and customize it accordingly.  I was exciting pretending to be a teacher to write the newsletter. I pretended to have a Valentine's Day party and host a trip to a museum. One thing I struggled with was the column function. But being exposed to it will make me more familiar with it. Instead of using a newsletter template, I now know how to create my own newsletter.


Comments

  1. Deandra,
    The standard that you feel most comfortable with, happens to be the one that I need the most help with! I have never used a smartboard and I'm not particularly tech-savvy so I am uncomfortable with a lot of the standards. A virtual classroom is a great idea. Even with younger students, the digital classroom could be a way for parents to be more involved in their child's education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deandra,
    I like the idea of wanting a virtual classroom! Even though your students will be young it is great for them to be experienced with technology so soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 5: Web 2.0 Technology Tools

Blog 0: The Beginning

Blog 9: Flipped Classroom, "Open", PowerPoints